Sister Mary Lucy Rezler
Sister Mary Lucy (Lucy Rezler) was born December 12, 1927 in Bay City, Michigan. She was the last child of Theodore and Michalina Rezler: John, Louis, Chester, Julian, Susan, Ann, Florence and Lucy (Sister Mary Lucy).
Lucy was baptized and confirmed at St. Stanislaus, Bay City, where she attended grade school and one year of high school, completing high school at St. James, also in Bay City.
Contact with the Felician Sisters at St. Stanislaus School sparked an aspiration for religious life. She was admitted to the Congregation in 1945 and in the following year received the name of Sister Mary Manuela, later changed to Sister Mary Lucy. Final vows were professed in 1953.
Sister Mary Lucy earned a bachelor’s degree from Madonna (College) University and a Master’s in Education from Wayne State University in Detroit. With an interest in hairstyling, Sister pursued studies at the Hamtramck Beauty School and received a diploma in cosmetology.
Sister Mary Lucy was active in the ministry of education for 63 years. Sister taught primary and middle grades during 55 of those years and continued to tutor children for the last eight years. She was assigned to the following schools: in the Archdiocese of Detroit: St. Stanislaus, Resurrection, Patronage of St. Joseph, Our Lady Help of Christians, St. Stephen and Mary, Mother of the Church, all in Detroit; Our Lady, Queen of Apostles, and St. Florian, Hamtramck; Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Wyandotte; and Our Lady of Refuge, Orchard Lake. Sister taught and was also principal at St. Christine, Detroit.
Teaching assignments in other dioceses included: St. Valentine, Beaver; St. Joseph, Manistee; St. Stanislaus and St. Hyacinth, Bay City; St. Cecilia, Clare; St. Jude, Grand Rapids; St. Adalbert, Toledo, Ohio; and St. Mary’s, Otis, Indiana.
At age 75, her last assignment in the ministry of education at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Wyandotte, Sister Lucy tutored children and, at times, was a substitute teacher.
Sister was permanently transferred to Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Convent, Livonia, in 2011 with the assignment of house duties and hairstyling. A final move to St. Joseph Hall took place in 2013, when Sister Lucy engaged in the ministry of prayer.