We are accepting applicants for 2024 sessions
Jan – May 2024
Check back for upcoming dates
8-Week Summer Session
Jun – Jul 2024
Areas of Service
Deo Gratias Café: Serve guests while offering a ministry of presence by listening to people, learning about the neighborhood and identifying additional needs.
Food Pantry: Stock shelves, pick up donations, help guests make food selections.
Literacy Program: Work one-on-one with adults or children to assess and help build their reading skills.
Community Garden: Plant, harvest and share fresh produce to provide healthy food to the neighborhood.
Art Program: Interact with guests as they explore various mediums and create artwork.
Programs are offered for limited times throughout the week — volunteers will help us expand programming.
We are seeking volunteers ages 18-26 to:
- live on-site independently in a community setting participating in cleaning and meal preparation
- volunteer 40 hours each week
- participate in or be respectful of daily prayer
- share volunteer experiences through a daily reflection
- complete and submit the Deo Gratias Application with references
- be interviewed and complete a background check, medical exam and drug-screening
- complete a program for the protection of vulnerable people (Protecting God’s Children, Mandated Reporter Training, etc.)
- Private bedroom in an urban residence in Corktown, Detroit, MI
- Room, board and living expenses
- Access to a communal car and car insurance
- Monthly stipend
- Retreat at the 240-acre Maryville Retreat Center on Lake Elliott in Holly, MI
- Vacation and holiday time
Deo Gratias Ministry Detroit is a 501c(3) organization founded by the Felician Sisters in 2018 to provide social services for those facing significant economic and social challenges. Through a ministry of presence, sisters at Deo Gratias help find solutions to make the community a safe and happy place.