Deo Gratias Volunteer
This opportunity has been filled for 2022 - 2023. Thank you to all who expressed interest.
Deo Gratias Café: Welcome and serve our neighbors with a ministry of presence. Learn about their families, their own history and listen for ways to identify needs that we can help serve.
Food Pantry: Stock shelves, pick up donations, check in guests and help them make food selections while learning a little more about their lives and needs.
Literacy Program: Work one-on-one with adults or children to assess and help build their reading skills. Develop relationships with our neighbors as you work with a particular adult or child throughout the program.
Community Garden: Plough, dig, weed, plant, harvest and share vegetables and herbs to bring healthy and flavorful foods to the neighborhood.
Art Program: Bring your inner artist to help with a variety of art classes including stained-glass, rock painting, canvas painting, and making mosaics to bring beauty and pride to our guest’s homes and neighborhood.
Programs are currently offered for limited times throughout the week — volunteers will help us expand programming.
We ask volunteers to:
- be 18 - 39 years old
- be able to live on-site independently in a community setting participating in cleaning and meal preparation
- volunteer 40 hours each week
- volunteer entire 10-months (September 2022 - June 2023)
- participate or be respectful of daily prayer and share volunteer experiences through a daily reflection
- complete and submit the Deo Gratias Application with references
- be interviewed and complete a background check, medical exam and drug-screening
- complete a program for the protection of vulnerable people (Protecting God's Children, Mandated Reporter Training, etc.)
- 5-bedroom residence in Detroit, Michigan
- Community living experience including room, board, personal living expenses (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.)
- $150 monthly stipend
- Attend two Volunteer in Mission Retreats
- Health insurance including vision and dental
- Vacation and holiday time
- 2-week orientation and training
- FVIM will work with you to defer student loans
Deo Gratias Ministry Detroit is a 501c(3) organization founded by the Felician Sisters in 2018 to provide social services for those facing significant economic and social challenges. Through a ministry of presence, sisters at Deo Gratias help find solutions to make the community a safe and happy place.