Deo Gratias Volunteer
We are seeking compassionate adults who believe in the fundamental dignity of each person to join us for a 10-month volunteer mission at our Deo Gratias Ministry Detroit in Detroit, Michigan. This pilot program will run from mid-August 2022 to June 2023.
Deo Gratias Ministry Detroit is a 501c(3) organization founded by the Felician Sisters in 2018 to provide social services for those facing significant economic and social challenges. Through a ministry of presence, sisters at Deo Gratias help find solutions to make the community a safe and happy place.
Deo Gratias Café: Welcome and serve our neighbors with a ministry of presence. Learn about their families, their own history and listen for ways to identify needs that we can help serve.
Food Pantry: Stock shelves, pick up donations, check in guests and help them make food selections while learning a little more about their lives and needs.
Literacy Program: Work one-on-one with adults or children to assess and help build their reading skills. Develop relationships with our neighbors as you work with a particular adult or child throughout the program.
Community Garden: Plough, dig, weed, plant, harvest and share vegetables and herbs to bring healthy and flavorful foods to the neighborhood.
Art Program: Bring your inner artist to help with a variety of art classes including stained-glass, rock painting, canvas painting, and making mosaics to bring beauty and pride to our guest’s homes and neighborhood.
Social Services: work and schedule with a caseworker to help guests with assessing needs, counseling, and finding services to help bring stability and healthiness to their lives.
Programs are offered for limited times throughout the week. You will help us expand programming and with your gifts and talents, you can make an imprint on our programs.
Requirements: We ask volunteers to
- be 18 - 39 years old
- be able to live independently in a community setting participating in cleaning and meal preparation
- volunteer 40 hours each week
- live on-site
- volunteer entire 10-months (mid-August 2022 - June 2023)
- participate or be respectful of daily prayer and share volunteer experiences through a daily reflection
- complete and submit the Deo Gratias Application with references
- be interviewed and complete a background check, medical exam and drug-screening
- complete a program for the protection of vulnerable people (Protecting God's Children, Mandated Reporter Training, etc.)
- 5-bedroom residence in Detroit, Michigan
- Community living experience including room, board, personal living expenses (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.)
- $150 monthly stipend
- Attend two Volunteer in Mission Retreats
- Health insurance including vision and dental
- Vacation and holiday time
- 2-week orientation and training
- FVIM will work with you to defer student loans